Monday, April 21, 2008

Picnic Plans Dampened but not Extinguished

With all 4 Holt Press offspring home at the one time this afternoon, and Fashion Boy about to leave for a week at Morawa, I gathered them all up and took them into town for an ice cream picnic. We sat at a table in a nice park, opened the ice cream tub and started to dig in, and then the rain started! Big wet heavy rain, not conducive to picnics, so we scampered for cover at St Marys church over the road. There were no seats so we sat on the pavement underneath their awning, and enjoyed ice cream and laughter in equal measure.

We then deposited FB on the bus for Perth. He's staying with Greg and Demelza tonight then taking the 7.15 Geraldton bus to Morawa in the morning, a lazy 6 hour trip! He's gone to stay with a friend who he met at the State Youth Parliament last year.
There are clear echoes of my adolescence here. I met my dear friend Sally at a camp while we were at school, me in Perth and her in Moora, and I used to go and stay with her on weekends occasionally at her family's farm at Coomberdale, as well as meeting up with her in Midland on those Saturday mornings when she came down for dental appointments.

With FB on the bus and The Heir off to work, Sport Boy and I went to the movies to see Nim's Island, an enjoyable Robinson Crusoe style film. I did nod off for a brief time in the middle of it but SB woke me up in time to see the catapulting fish and lizard scene.

Mrs Holt Press arrived home from Northam at about 9.30 having had a good time at her course.

No comments: