Sunday, April 08, 2007

Easter Sunday

Christ died on the cross and was buried in a tomb which was sealed with a large rock and guarded by Roman soldiers.

Then, the miracle occurred.

When his followers came to the tomb on Sunday morning it was open and his body wasn't there. The rock had not just been moved, a literal translation would say it had been thrown aside.

Then Jesus appeared.

He was no longer dead.

His body had been raised back to life. For the next 40 days he met with and taught his followers, proving himself to them.

The resurrection of Jesus is the single most important fact of Christianity. It demonstrates God's ultimate authority over life and death, and validates Christ's death on the cross as having been an acceptable sacrifice on behalf of humanity, paying the price for our sins.

It is also the foretaste of the promise given to all believers, that we too will rise again after death and enter God's Kingdom.

If the resurrection is not true Christianity is a complete sham because all of it's claims and teachings centre on it. St Paul, the greatest of all Christians, said without the resurrection his faith was worthless.

Today I give thanks to God for his incredible gift, his amazing grace, his wonderful mercy.

I look forward to that day when I go to meet my maker and lay eyes on Jesus my saviour.
While I'm not in any hurry for it to happen, it holds no fear or apprehension for me. God's promises are faithful.

I've enjoyed a little bit of chocolate today but the true meaning of Easter overshadows even the pleasure of chocolate!

No comments: