Thursday, September 10, 2009

Art and Church







While I was in Melbourne with The Heir I found an interesting gallery in a back street in Brunswick that had some fantastic pictures. These ones appealed to me in particular. I really like the "naive" style of painting and would love to be able to do it myself but my initial attempts have been unsuccessful. I especially like the crucifixion painting below. The crown of thorns is fashioned out of some rusty old barbed wire and Jesus' hair and beard are made of tightly twisted and torn pages of the Old Testament.
I am trying out new things with my artwork including the use of mixed media, especially using pieces of metal I've collected from various places: this picture inspires me both artistically and spiritually.



We had home group at Stu and Deb's tonight. There are 6 of us in the group and we had a very stimulating discussion tonight on "What do we think church is" and "Why do we go to our church?" It rattled along for 2 1/2 hours and could have still been going on now if we hadn't adjourned the discussion till next week.
It is good to be back in a home group for the first time in several years, it provides a forum for open honest dialogue on big and challenging issues, the mysteries of faith and life, and with plenty of laughter thrown in to keep it grounded and enjoyable.



No comments: