Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Generosity out of Tragedy

On Friday we had a Student Free Dress Day to raise money for the Victorian Bushfire Appeal.

Today I deposited $2125.10 in the Red Cross Appeal account which the bank teller told me was the biggest donation they've received.

Pretty cool!

Across Australia the total raised has passed $100m.

Proving once again that in times of crisis people come together and community spirit shines through, in this case, nation wide spirit.

4 Corners tonight covered the bushfire story, the pictures and words were graphic but the most heart-breaking part came in the final credits as the names and pictures of the dead were shown, 186 currently, followed by the missing which totalled 29. The last four names were of a family known to a girl at my school, including one of her best friends.

This has been not only the worst fire in our history, it's the worst natural disaster Australia has ever experienced.

As Mrs Holt Press is away I took the opportunity tonight to teach The Hair and Sport Boy to cook the world's simplest meal, spaghetti bolognese. They did a good job.
I also imposed martial law over the ice cream I bought this afternoon. Unrestricted access to the ice cream sees it disappear in about a day and a half. Hopefully with me rationing it out it will last maybe a week!

No comments: