Wednesday, July 18, 2007

An Unusual Day

I didn't leave the house today. I can't remember the last time I spent the whole day indoors.
The fact that the temperature dropped down to 5 degrees and the weather was cold wet and wild had a lot to do with it but I was very comfortable and relaxed regardless.
So much so that I spent the afternoon painting and when I went to check the time realised I hadn't put my watch on. I reckon it would be 20 years at least since I've gone a whole day without wearing a watch. I did check my empty wrist a couple more times throughout the evening but the clock chimes kept me informed and I carried on relaxing, oblivious or impervious to the demands of time or schedules or deadlines. Auntie Ev pleasantly interrupted my inactivity when lunch and tea were ready. Hot soup on a cold day, mmmm!

Over dinner Auntie Ev mentioned her autograph book, dating back some 60 years, signed by school friends, teachers, family and a smattering of famous people, most notably, Jack Dyer aka Captain Blood, infamous captain of Richmond in the 40's and 50's, and the legendary John Coleman, Essendon champion and often called the greatest full forward ever to play the game.
I was very impressed!

We had fun reading the various poems and witty dittys written by her childhood friends, and the numerous references to "Arnold" who must have been her boyfriend at the time.

There is snow forecast in various places in Victoria overnight! I'm intending to visit my sister Shannon tomorrow but if Leongatha is shrouded in white when I get up I think I'll stay put for another day!

One more unusual aspect to the day,I didn't spend any money today, the first time that's happened since I left Busselton. Not that I've been spending lots of money but when you're travelling or holidaying it can be expensive so it's good to have a cheap day now and again!

No comments: