Friday, November 16, 2007

Paintings done at the Men's Gathering

I took a few small canvasses with me on the weekend so that I'd have something to do in any spare time. It also gave me an option when I didn't want to go to any of the workshops on offer! The workshops tended more towards the bare-chested drum thumping end of the spectrum. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not for me.
So I painted. Gary, one of my room mates observed my progress and on the last day asked about buying one. He chose the blue one.
I gave the diagonal striped one to Andy, a farmer from north of Geraldton who has been doing it tough because of the drought. The other one I gave to another Gary, who I met on the first night and developed a bit of a bond with over the course of the weekend. He dropped me at the train station at dinner time on Sunday night so I could get to the Breakfast Club.

The Breakfast Club is so named because we started out meeting for breakfast once a month about 15 years ago. Everyone had to bring something to share, I was the bread and spreads man, Hugh provided cereal, Broadie brought juice and Phil was the something exotic (weird) man! I think he grabbed the first thing he found in the fridge or the pantry, regardless of it's suitability as a breakfast food.
There have been a couple of other members along the way but Hugh, Phil, Broadie and I are the long-standing members of this august institution.
When breakfast became too difficult because of family commitments we ventured into night time get-togeters but retained the name. Now, because I live three hours from Perth, we only get together 3 or 4 times a year. It's always good when we do. We have shared a lot of one another's lives and journies over the distance and I hope we keep meeting in some form, for the rest of our lives.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: