Sunday, October 24, 2021

60 in 60 #26 Chris

 60 in 60 #26    Chris

 

I am reflecting on the last 60 years, and writing 60 blog posts. 30 about people and 30 about events, places, experiences and entities.

 


Around the time I started working with Fusion in Perth in 1989 a few other youthwork opportunities came up. One was as coordinator of the Chip Inn drop-in-centre at Warwick Church of Christ (a forthcoming chapter) and the other was at the KGB! Not the infamous Soviet spy agency, but rather, Koondoola-Girrawheen-Balga, a program that worked with disaffected and at-risk teenagers in one of the lowest socio-economic areas in Perth, seeking to get them back to school or into other positive programs. I began working with them two days a week and shortly after, the program’s name was changed to SPYE- Support Program for Youth Education. We worked with a small group of kids for a term teaching literacy and life-skills and linking up with other youth agencies in the area. One of those was a youth health service run by a nurse, Chris Vye. She was very supportive of the program and ran sessions on sex, drugs and associated health issues with our kids. She was not so impressed when one of the kids hit her in the head because she hadn’t done the required thumb to forehead protective measure after someone burped! I may or may not have introduced this immature game to the SPYE kids! (Sorry Chris!)

 

One of the first things I learnt about Chris was she was a big West Coast Eagle fan. This led to a fierce rivalry and a lot of banter due to my love of Geelong and dislike for West Coast. They were Geelong’s nemesis in the early 90s and Chris was not shy about reminding me or rubbing it in, especially after the 92 and 94 Grand Finals. Despite this we became friends, especially so when she met Carolyn. They have developed a strong friendship in its own right. One night Carolyn made me put on a blindfold and drove me to a mystery destination. We arrived to a special dinner prepared for us by Chris at her place



in Balcatta. 

 


I moved on from SPYE and Chip Inn when I got the job at Carine and Chris headed to the north-west of WA to work at Wiluna and later at Hall’s Creek. She loved working with the local Indigenous population but it was challenging work, dealing with the impact of alcohol, violence and decades of racial prejudice and abuse.  Understandably she took every chance to get away to Broome whenever she could, a lazy 7 hour drive! 

 

Chris returned to Perth and then headed south, all the way to Esperance, where she still lives and works as a regional community nurse Manager. She is a dedicated professional with genuine concern for her clients and staff.

 

Esperance is a beautiful part of the world but a long way from Perth and the footy, the arts and music. Chris’ escapes now took her north to Perth or east to see her Mum and family, to Sydney for nurses’ reunions, or to her favourite place, Melbourne Park and the Australian Open tennis. 

 

We were living in Busselton by now and chances to catch up were rare, only happening if we both happened to be in Perth at the same time. It’s one of those friendships that has strengthened and been maintained despite the distance, via email and snail mail, texts and Facebook messenger.

We have a mutual love of sport, share the same political views and an appreciation for good writing and journalism. Many times I’ve opened the mail to find a newspaper cutting or a cartoon Chris has sent me, knowing I’ll appreciate it, and my email inbox has a folder full of interesting articles and stories Chris has sent me. Each one reminds me that she is thinking of me and valuing our friendship. 

We will never see eye-to-eye regarding our footy teams but I love the banter and commentary during the footy season as we share our passions and frustrations. Ironically, while she has no love at all for Geelong, she is absolutely smitten with Tom Hawkins! So much so that I made her a sticker, “I Love Tomahawk”. I love Tom too, but not in the same way Chris does!!

 


Chris loves rugby and has a very high opinion of the code and its gentlemanly conduct and respect for the referee, but has no time for one of my great loves, soccer, nor does she share my love of Gridiron.

 

One year we decided to break with tradition and forego the family Christmas for some time away at Esperance. Unfortunately Chris had already made plans to go east and wasn’t going to be home but generously offered us the use of her house to stay in for the week. We had a lovely time but it was disappointing not to see her on the rare occasion we were in Esperance. 

 

Another way we differ is that I am not a dog person (or any pets in fact) but Chris loves dogs and always has a beloved four-footed friend in her life. I see pictures and stories of Lily, and of Bella before her and I know they give her a lot of love and companionship. Chris loves photography, particularly Australian flora and fauna, the coast and the bush.

 

When we were moving back to Victoria in 2010 the kids and Carolyn flew and I drove, with my mate Alex as co-driver and companion. We went via Esperance and spent a great night with Chris before we set off on the long journey across the Nullarbor.

 

Since we’ve been in Victoria Chris has been over many times, sometimes staying with us and sometimes inviting us to come and stay with her in an apartment in Melbourne so we can go to the tennis together. She has been wonderfully generous, shouting us tickets to the tennis and last year taking us to the Women’s Final. Sadly, Ash Barty lost in the semi, we had been hoping to see an Aussie victory.  Chris loves Rafa Nadal (who I call Wedgie Boy) while I prefer Roger Federer. In between days at the tennis there are meals at quality restaurants and shopping expeditions for her and Carolyn. 

 

When I turned 50 Chris came over to join the celebrations with a few of my friends, a great weekend of fun, food and footy. I had just started painting and drawing, revealing an artistic side I didn’t know I had and Chris gave me an easel for my birthday to encourage me to pursue it. 

We’ve gotten to a couple of games at the G and she keeps imploring me to come over to WA so we can go to a game at the new Perth Stadium together. In fact, Chris was one of the lucky people who got to go the Grand Final in Perth this season, courtesy of her brother who is a Melbourne member. When covid is finally subdued and life returns to something like normal I will indeed go back to WA and a date at the footy.

 

As I reflect on my friendship with Chris it is interesting to see that while we have much in common, we have just as many differences, in tastes and opinions. What we have above all is a true love and respect for one another. Chris has been a caring and compassionate friend, generous and giving, fiery and funny, outspoken and obstinate, loving and loyal. 

I don’t always agree with her but I love the dialogue and connection we share. 





No comments: