Saturday, April 04, 2009

Lucky Escape

My last pick up in the cab tonight was from the police station, usually a sign of trouble for someone. I wasn't surprised to learn tht my passenger had lost her license for drunk driving a couple of hours before, but I was surprised about two things.
Her age: She was 18, still on P plates.
And that she blew .144, which in her own words, "was way over the limit".
Resisting the temptation to lecture her or make her feel more guilty, I did make the obsevation that she was actually lucky, she could have been dead.
She agreed, admitting that she had no memory of getting into her car and starting to drive home!
We live in a drug using society, and the most popular drug of all is alcohol.
We passed three white crosses on the way to her place.


No comments: