Saturday, March 08, 2008

Beach Carnival

Today was the school's beach carnival, usually one of the best days of the school year.

It rained!

Not torrentially but just enough to take the edge off the day. It was grey and overcast throughout, except for one 30 second period when inexplicably the sun broke through, only to be just as quickly swallowed up and not seen again.

I had the job of running the sausage sizzle, theoretically as a fund-raiser for the chaplaincy.
I say theoretically because I didn't even break even, because we didn't sell enough snags or cans of drink. The crowd we gathered were more interested in getting some warmth from the BBQs than buying what was cooking on top.
On the positive side I still have about a dozen packs of sausages and several dozen cans of soft drink, which can be sold at a later date, but for now, we're in the red which is a shame considering the amount of work and effort involved in the exercise.

The day was marred by an ugly fight between a group of girls which attracted a large crowd of students caught up in one of the uglier characteristics of human beings, "the mob mentality".
I spent nearly half an hour on crowd control, turning spectators away and sending them back to the beach while other staff and eventually the police dealt with the antagonists.

For a change, I spent Friday night at home, the taxi company having rostered me on on Saturday night instead. That's not all that convenient seeing as tomorrow is Mrs Holt Presses' birthday but it did mean we could stay home and watch a movie. Despite my best efforts scouring the shelves at the video store I ended up with a dud. If you're ever tempted to watch a film called "Evening" starring Clare Danes, don't do it, it's not worth the effort, or the money.

No comments: