Thursday, August 30, 2007

Elanor Brinen

When I was 20 I sold everything I owned, bought a one way ticket to London, and set off on what turned out to be a two and a half year adventure. I lived in London, travelled to Europe for a few short visits, mainly for soccer games, including the 1982 World Cup Finals in Spain, and twice went to the USA to work on a Summer Camp.
The camp in question was called Camp Schodack, set in the Adirondacks, north-east of Albany, the capital city of New York State.
I had a fantastic time at the camp, met lots of people and got along well with the campers.
One of my favourite kids was Josh. He was into drama and writing and if I remember correctly played the part of Daddy Warbucks in the camp production of Little Orphan Annie.
After the camp finished (it ran for 8 weeks!) I went and stayed with Josh and his family for a couple of days and they really spoiled me.
One day they gave me the car keys and $50 and sent me and Josh to the nearby Amusement Park where we rode roller coasters and thrill rides all day. Josh was about 10 at the time.
I had another Summer with him at Schodack, further cementing our friendship.
About 8 years later, in 1992, I went on another trip to the US to attend a Youth Leadership Conference in Montreal and stayed with Josh for a night in New York City. When I rang his mom to find out where he was she was thrilled to hear from me again and confided in me that he had written a book and named one of the main characters after me!!
Then, a number of years later when my Mum went on her first trip overseas I gave her a few contacts, including Josh. She has been to stay with him a couple of times since, and keeps in closer contact with him than I do!
Josh of course has grown up and is now married. (Apologies but I can't remember his wife's name!)
Recently they sent Mum some photos of their baby daughter Elanor, and that's who is gracing this post.
She certainly looks like a cutie.
Hopefully I'll get back to New York one day and visit Josh and his family again. They are expecting their second baby in March.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Peter said...

Well said, I enjoyed that.

Anonymous said...

Dear Marcus-

E-mail is a wonderous thing - and ichat with video more so! (doesn't sport boy have a mac?).

I am happy to play host to any member of your family that comes to New York! Granted, we live in New Jersey now, but right by the train station!

You are always welcome, but I expect we'll be to you before you get to us. I have to ride the 'Ghan!

Until the next round of pictures to your mum, Eleanor's honorary grand mum,

Best,

Joshua, Luciana, and Eleanor