Monday, July 05, 2010

No Rest for the Wicked

I got home from Country Week about 8 o'clock Friday night and an hour later was taxi driving, not quite the way I'd planned it but they needed a driver and I needed the money.

By 2.30 I was too tired to continue even though it was unusually busy.

I needed some sleep because I was rostered to umpire a reserves game at Margaret River at 12.20 Saturday arvo. I was not the picture of speed across the ground but managed not to upset too many players with my decisions. The captain of Donnybrook's reserves only has one arm, it's pretty inspirational watching him play footy and compete with the best of them.

I grabbed a few hours sleep when I got home before heading out to drive the cab again on Saturday night. It was a lot quieter and I finished fairly early! Sort of! I got my second wind and watched the Spain v Paraguay quarter-final of the World Cup when I got home.

Sunday at last was a day of rest, watching the Cats beat the Kangaroos round at Glass Dave's on Foxtel and Rafael Nadal winning Wimbledon last night.

I was up early this morning and drove the long shift of town services buses all day today.

Interspersed with all that Mrs Holt Press worked two shifts at Eagle Boys so we haven't seen much of one another for the last week.

Things will quieten down for a few days now which will be a welcome relief.

Before I left Perth I got a new phone, an iphone in fact. $0 up front on a $49 plan with Telstra, a much better deal than I expected to get. It is pretty cool!

Favourite Daughter did her final sums today and is very pleased with how much money she made for doing the lunches at Country Week, well worth all the stress and occasional tears!

I knew I had spoken too soon on Tuesday night when I said I'd had no trips to the hospital with injured kids!
Two on Wednesday.
Two more on Thursday and one last one to the dentist on Friday morning after breaking a tooth playing football!! I told David I want a bonus for hospital trips next year!
Country Week ended up very well, the kids were great and had a really good time. Busso won the boy's and girl's soccer and were runners-up in football and boy's volleyball.

I had to feel sorry for my mate Dave who managed Bunbury's CW team. Bunbury were announced as overall Country Week Champions at the closing ceremony but the next day the organisers discovered they'd made a mistake in adding up and the actual winners were Albany! Bad luck mate!

No comments: