Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sleep? What Sleep?

My holidays ended yesterday. I leave for work in 10 minutes.
In honour of this occasion I had the worst night's sleep in the history of sleep.
I was still hyped up after getting back from the football, despite Geelong's disappointing but expected loss to Collingwood so the first half hour was doomed to keep me awake. Just when sleep looked possible the loud and distinctive car horn beep of my phone in the study shattered the silence. Who on earth was texting me at 1 in the morning? Some unaware Magpie fan on the other side of the country no doubt! 5 minutes later the reminder beep went off and the third and finally signal followed 10 minutes after that. 
From that point on there were snippets of sleep but nothing restful or extended. I observed the clock change from 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 throughout the night. I tried changing positions, deep breathing, holding my breath etc all to no avail until of course the inevitable irony! With less than an hour until I had to get up I fell asleep for the longest uninterrupted stretch of the night!
The 7.20 alarm was not received with joy.
Despite this sad tale, I had an excellent two weeks off , and I'm not unhappy about returning to work.
There are worse ways to spend a Sunday than being paid double time to drive a bus and listen to the footy all day.

Pictures and stories of the holidays to follow, including visits to Warrnambool, Mildura, Swan Hill, Benalla and Tatong.

No comments: